Friday, March 7, 2008

Emotions & Vigilance

I started planning the "Remembering Karen" Candlelight Vigil months ago. It started with a few thoughts at that time and last night it tranformed into a memorable event.

Emotions ran high as we all remembered Karen and others lost in drunk driving crashes, yet the many in attendance shared the same mindset that I have - the time for change is now.
Crusade Against Impaired Driving was started to ensure that other families do not have to suffer the way my family and I have suffered over the past decade.

As it was in our lives, the music from last night's event was an important part of the program, and I carefully selected each song. Here are links to all four songs that were played at the event.

"Precious Child"
"Who you'd be today"
"Remember Me This Way"
"MyHeart Will Go On"

As mementos of the evening, everyone in attendance walked away with a prayer card and a bookmark.

Not only did I get an overwhelming amount of emotional support at last night's event...the financial support of everyone, both friends and strangers, was amazing as well. Many opened up their wallets to support our organization, and to everyone I say thank you. Remember that all donations to Crusade Against Impaired Driving, Inc. stay in this community.

Where will this money go? First, money raised will go to support educating people in this community about the dangers of DWI. School presentations are being planned for pre-prom assemblies. We will also soon begin work on a DWI announcement to work into school announcements at area schools. I'll provide more updates on both of these programs right here. More programs will be planned in the future. We also plan to provide victim services to those impacted by drunk driving, this is a need currently not being filled in this community.

Thank you for all your support and for helping to make the candlelight vigil a success.


Deanna

1 comment:

S/V Sweet Angel said...

Deena,
I tried to contact you via the internet but your web page won't let me. Something wrong with set up.

Please email me so we can get in contact. I need to talk to you about drunk driving and the wonderful work you are doing in your sister's memory.

My cell is 909 496-7800. My name is Sandy Golden My email address is svsweetangel@gmail.com

It's important we connect.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sandy Golden