Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Letter to Karen

It's hard to put my emotions into words tonight. Ten years ago your life was taken too soon, and here it is almost your birthday. It's supposed to be a happy and joyous occasion. Instead, mom, dad, and I...and all your friends and family will be thinking of you and probably shedding tears.

You would be 29 years old, and I can't help but wonder what if. What if you weren't killed by a drunk driver? Maybe you would be married, maybe you'd have kids, maybe you'd be a successful trainer on a sports team somewhere.

I can't help but wonder how our relationship might have grown. We were just starting to get close. We were emailing each other, and really appreciating each other for what we were....sisters.

You were so close to your friends...and so many of them miss you. Sara is preparing to get married, Tara named her little girl after you, Jackie has *5* kids and thinks of you often. Katie keeps your picture in a special place in her home.

Sometimes it just doesn't seem real. There's still a piece of me who's expecting to wake up from this nightmare any moment. I think that one day I will hear your voice again, one day I may see you at my door again, one day I may hear you laugh or say "Dee" again. Then realism sets in. No, you're never going to do any of that again, because you were stolen away from us. You were killed by someone who was careless and didn't care about his actions, he didn't care about who he hurt when he got intoxicated and drove head on into the car you were riding in.

I've been robbed of you - my little sister - "doubles" . A drunk driver ripped you away from us, and now I'm fighting to make sure other families don't have to go through the same pain.

I love you Karen.

Happy Birthday,

Deanna

No comments: