Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The "accordion" and what I'll do differently next time


It was something I won't forget. All those years I spoke about my sister's crash, now I was the accident victim.

Screeching of the tires as I tried to brake and the sound of my car crashing into the car in front of me. Then as people rushed over to check and see if I was ok, I stared at the hood of the car. It looked like an accordion. Smashed up...

The EMTs put me on a backboard and I kept telling them "I don't think I'm seriously hurt", this isn't necessary. Their reply: "It's a precaution - just in case". I was making phone calls from the ambulance on the way to Mercy Hospital - to my husband and to my friend to take care of the errand I was headed to.

At the same time, I was shaking like a leaf, feeling the "pins and needles" sensation through my fingers and toes, hoping it would all go away soon.

I was taken to "fast track" - the emergency room at Mercy Hospital. Luckily, no serious injuries, a "negative" on the xray, and within a couple hours, sent home with a soft neck cast...just in case.

It could have been worse, that's what I keep telling myself. I was using a handsfree cell phone device when the crash happened. I should have been paying closer attention to the road. Could have, should have, and so much guilt.

Now I have neck and back pains that make it very uncomfortable to sit up straight. Now, because of the accident, my husband and I have to find another car.

I am learning a hard lesson here - that as busy as I am - rushing from here to there - and trying to do so much at once - that it may be too much.

No more multi-tasking behind the wheel, I'm learning to drive safer and take less chances behind the wheel.

Crusade Against Impaired Driving was established to fight drunk driving in the community, but I'm also an advocate of driving safely sober. I was wearing my seat belt, but it's time to pay closer attention to the road, other drivers, etc.

Lesson learned.

Deanna

No comments: