Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sharing Karen's Story with WNY Schools & Good News




Nothing can stop me now...the neck and back pain that I'm dealing with following my recent car accident is not stopping me from taking Karen's story to schools this spring.

Last Wednesday evening, I spoke to the young men at the Gow School in South Wales. It was a very attentive audience, and the teens had many interesting questions. I was joined by
Mrs. New York 2008, Jennifer Stehlar who assisted me with my PowerPoint, and also shared with the students her personal experiences and why she has taken on a safe driving platform. Jennifer also snapped a few pictures that I've attached to this blog. A special thank you to The Gow School for their very generous donation to Crusade Against Impaired Driving.

This week, on Monday and Tuesday, I spoke to Tim Joy's driver's education classes at Williamsville South High School. On Tuesday, I was joined by Beth Obad, the president of
Erie County's MADD chapter. The students also donated to CAID - thanks.

Tomorrow and Monday, I'll be speaking to health classes at Cleve-Hill High School. My friend Cindy is joining me tomorrow, and next Friday I'm headed to Alden.

CAID got good news and even better news in the last week.

We are officially a 501C3 non-profit organization! Any donations made to Crusade Against Impaired Driving, Inc. are now tax deductible.

Last week, I received a very nice letter from Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown. He was not able to make it to the candlelight vigil in March, but applauded my efforts to stop drunk driving in the community: " "Your hard work, the support you have gathered thus far, and the organization's mission will not only educate and create awareness about the dangers of impaired driving, but
will bolster our memory of Karen as well."

That's all I have for now...I'll be blogging again soon.

Deanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deanna is an amazing speaker and her story has a tremendous impact on the students. A student actually came up to her & told her that her presentation was the best birthday gift he could have gotten! Truly Amazing!